Thursday, June 21, 2007

Providence

…When I dropped the window off that falling ladder back in 1971, I didn’t know that my son had come around the corner of the house and was standing at the foot of the ladder watching me. The window hit the ground and burst, the ladder hit the ground and bounced, and his father landed face first in the crysanthemums; all three missed him by a few feet. Quite a spectacle for a little boy to see up close, and he laughed out loud and clapped his hands. I moved my arms to make sure they weren’t broken into little pieces, and I clapped, too. Hurray for God! So many fiction writers nowadays would have sent the window down on that boy’s head as if it were on a pulley and the rope were around his neck, but God let three heavy objects fall at his feet and not so much as scratch him. He laughed to see me and I laughed to see him. He was all right and I wasn’t so bad myself.

-Garrison Keillor, We Are Still Married

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you have a "laughter" tag? I'm sure you would have used it several times so far. Alternatively, you could use here a "rope around neck" tag, or "falling down" tag, or "clapping" tag, or "a funny thing happened to me today" tag...
There were so many choices, and yet, you chose not to choose? Sigh. It's criminal.