Sunday, October 5, 2008

Optimistic About Nothing

However, American culture is by nature more upbeat, more optimistic than European culture, more about opportunity than about our lost philosophical bearings, so it tends to think differently about our lost center. It is naturally more hopeful. It therefore stares not so much at the void as at the prospect of a Caribbean vacation, at the high-end catalogs, the upward move, and the new Lexus. Europeans might still see themselves in Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot. Americans are more inclined to while away the time by watching something distracting or amusing. Maybe Seinfeld. This brilliantly acted television show was, by its own reckoning, a show about nothing. Beckett's world, too, was a world in which Nothing reigned. Here are two streets that end up at the same destination, one at a highbrow level and the other at, well, a lowbrow level. But Beckett's was nastier.

-David Wells, The Courage to Be Protestant, 110.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

What do you mean when you say "nastier"? Waiting for Godot is one of my favorite books.

Annie Chase said...

why are you in Nebraska?

Beth said...

Wait...what? I'm so confused.

Annie Chase said...

so, I have this live feed thing and someone in omaha nebraska came to visit my blog. well they came through blogger.com so I clicked in my feed thing on the blogger.com page that they came to my site through and it was your blog. Like it was saying that you signedinto your blogger account and then came to my blog. or something like that...except in nebraska and so I was wondering if maybe you took a trip to nebraska today :)

Beth said...

Mysterious. I don't know anyone from Nebraska...Maybe my readership is expanding!