Saturday, September 20, 2008

Review: The Willoughbys, Lois Lowry

This is a book about four old-fashioned children, their nefarious parents, a not-really odious nanny, an affable infant, and a melancholy tycoon...among others. It’s tongue-in-cheek, reminiscent of Lemony Snickett’s A Series of Unfortunate Events. I was taken aback by the cynical tone of the first few chapters. (When I first picked this up, I was searching for a Fairmont bedtime story...and a book in which the main characters ruthlessly abandon an infant seemed a bit too dark. Ruthlessly - hah!) But I’m happy to say there is redemption, and things end well for almost everyone. Except, perhaps, the parents. But they are nefarious, so it’s okay. SO, this was a fun read. And Lois Lowry is a great author. The end.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I thought it would be fun to create a new type of blog entry. For those who are keeping track, there are quotes (most common), lists of highs (less frequent of late), and reviews (more to come?).

Beth said...

P.S. Note the italics. That's how you can tell it's me speaking, and not just a random quote.

Jessielynn said...

It always makes me so happy when it's actually _you_ speaking on your blog. Yay.