Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Me and Jiggs

Me and Jiggs staring at the ceiling
The stars above the radar range
Song from a station wagon laying foundations
On the shadows of overpassing planes
I'm feeling good, at seven o'clock
We're gonna drive across the county line
And find Saturday night like an orphan child
That the good days left behind

And I'm not sure we can make it stay
Sun's going down and it's another day

Me and my friends sitting in the park
Drinking beer underneath the trees
Lying on your back as the sun goes down,
You know it's perfect cause you've gotta leave
On a Saturday night in a town like this
I forget all my songs about trains
A bar with a jukebox and you on my arm
Heaven and earth are pretty much the same

And I'm not sure we can make it stay
Sun's going down and its the end of the day

Later on sitting on the porch
Talking like the night could last all night
Like we are all half crazy
And all at least half alright
Sitting on the porch singing Townes Van Zandt
Play guitar to burn off the hours
Till we climb the fences at the edge of town
And paint our names on the water towers

And I'm not sure we can make them stay
Sun's going down at the end of the day

-Josh Ritter

1 comment:

Beth said...

So I've been listening to A LOT of Josh Ritter this summer. And this is such a bittersweet end-of-summer song. "You know it's perfect cause you've gotta leave." I love all of the seasons - but summer's end is the only time I feel really melancholy. No more college students, Fairmont, Frisbee in the dark. No more sunburns. No more sand in my car and between my toes. No more swimsuits and tank tops and shorts and sandals. At least until next summer. But the endingness of it all makes it somehow sweeter. I've been catching little glimpses of the end - the beginning of the end? - ever since we came back from Fairmont. I am excited for Fall, but ah me, I will miss this.