Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Come Unto Me

Come unto me. Come unto me, you say. All right then, dear my Lord. I will try in my own absurd way...For who am I? I know only that heel and toe, memory and metatarsal, I am everything that turns, all of a piece, unthinking, at the sound of my name. Am where my feet take me. Buechner. Come unto me, you say. I, Buechner, all of me, unknowing and finally unknowable even to myself, turn. O Lord and lover, I come if I can to you down through the litter of any day, through sleeping and waking and eating and saying goodbye and going away and coming back again. Laboring and laden with endless histories heavy on my back.

-Frederick Buechner, The Alphabet of Grace, 28-29.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I like the last bit of this: 'the litter of any day...sleeping and waking and saying goodbye and going away and coming back again'. My days are full of 'litter' - trivialities. In The Alphabet of Grace, Buechner wrestles with what it means to be a Christian disciple in the midst of all this litter - is it possible that the litter itself is an alphabet of grace through which God speaks to us? I believe that the ordinary stuff is terribly important. Driving to work on a Monday morning is as much a part of my Christian discipleship as driving to Fairmont for our summer missions trip. Nothing is inconsequential. But it's not often that I remember this...