Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Impossible Dream

To dream the impossible dream,
To fight the unbeatable foe,
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go;

To right the unrightable wrong.
To love, pure and chaste, from afar,
To try, when your arms are too weary,
To reach the unreachable star!

This is my Quest,
To follow that star,
No matter how hopeless,
No matter how far,
To fight for the right
Without question or pause,
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause!

And I know, if I'll only be true
To this glorious Quest,
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest.

And the world will be better for this,
That one man, scorned and covered with scars,
Still strove, with his last ounce of courage,
To reach the unreachable stars!

-Joe Darian (from the musical Man of La Mancha)

5 comments:

Beth said...

I remember watching two movies with my freshman roommate: Babette's Feast and The Man of La Mancha. Both are great movies, with interesting spiritual parallels. Man of La Mancha is based on the story of Don Quixote, but the main character also images Christ, particularly as he pursues the 'lady' Dulcinea (actually the village whore), just as Christ pursues us. (Though it's obviously not a perfect metaphor--Christ was not a charming lunatic!)

Anonymous said...

ah yes. tis a good one. you and musicals beth. youve seen them ALL.

Anonymous said...

a snior sneak is where the seniors plan a trip to go off campus and then we dont tell any one when or where we are going and then we sneak off. although most of the school ends up finding out about it before we go.
we left in the middle of school on thursday.

the point is to sneak off and have everyone saying"where did the seniors go! they dissappeared?!"

we're returning home now though.
~Annie!~

Beth said...

So, Bella - you've seen Man of La Mancha?! Wow, first Matzoh, and now this...we're practically twins.

I'm not sure I've seen ALL the musicals...but a respectable sampling, yes. Hmmm...I should have musical week on my blog. That would be pretty amazing.

Beth said...

Oh, and Annie...I'm glad that you didn't disappear forever. That would be disturbing. You should sneak to CT next time...