Sunday, August 19, 2007

Il Faut Souffrir Pour Etre Belle

To be born as blonde and blue-eyed and beautiful as [my mother] was can be as much of a handicap in its way as to be born with a cleft palate because if you are beautiful enough you don't really have to make people love you and want to be near you. You don't have to be particularly kind or unselfish or generous or compassionate because people will flock around you anyway simply for the sake of your beaux yeux.

-Frederick Buechner, Telling Secrets

1 comment:

Beth said...

In response to this post, Jessie sent me the song "Beautiful" by Joydrop:

If I was beautiful like you
I'd have so many friends
Always fighting for my time to be next in line
So if I hurt one I wouldn't have to make amends
That will never be
That will never never be
Cause I'm not beautiful like you
I'm beautiful like me