Saturday, January 31, 2009

Review: Jayber Crow, Wendell Berry

I saved this review for last because it was, by far, the best of my library books. I already wrote up a description for a friend, so I am going to cut and paste from the email I sent to her (with just a little editing)...

Jayber Crow is the fictional autobiography of Jonah (Jayber) Crow. He's born in the teens, and is looking back on his life as an old man in the eighties. He spends most of his life in a small town in Kentucky, and a good part of the book is about that small town and the people who live in it. It's a gentle book, and the characters are painted with grace and warmth, and that's what I liked best. There were several places where I laughed out loud. But there are profound passages too, some of which I've already quoted in my blog. It seems like a good book for someone making life decisions, or for someone who is just interested in vocation (like me).

Vocation, and the role of individual choice (self-determination?) is one of Berry's themes. He is also critical of many of the cultural changes that occurred over the course of the twentieth century, and this book mourns the passing of rural farming communities. I have a harder time embracing this theme—I tend to think that that the state of the world is neither improving nor disintegrating, just carrying on much the same as always. But Berry challenges that assumption, and perhaps it ought to be challenged. I disdain cultural relativism, and it strikes me now that I'm just expressing a sort of temporal relativism. Perhaps some ages
are darker than others. And while nostalgia can be a bit of a sickness, it is appropriate to name and mourn what's lost.

I'll leave it at that, except to say that this book reminded me a bit of both
Our Town and Theophilus North—so I guess Berry's prose has a Thornton Wilderish quality. A fine book. Check it out!

1 comment:

Togeika said...

Please excuse me if I don't greet you personally, but I can't find your name on your blog.

Berry is like my late Zen teacher, Dainin Katagiri Roshi. I used to say about Katagiri: "He lives that way so we don't have to." I understand Berry's love of rural places, I love them too. But, with consciousness and effort, you can live with nature in an urban area too.
I live a short walk from the Mississippi river and I walk to its parkway everyday with my dog. Minneapolis is full of parks, lakes, creeks and trees.
Actually, most of us HAVE to live in the cities, to allow folks like Berry the privilege of living in the country.

It is suburbia and its sprawl that makes no ecological sense.

-- Lee in Minneapolis