Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Forgiveness

Forgiveness, reader, is, I think, something very much like hope and love, a powerful, wonderful thing.

And a ridiculous thing too.

Isn't it ridiculous, after all, to think a son could forgive his father for beating the drum that sent him to his death? Isn't it ridiculous to think that a mouse could ever forgive anyone for such perfidy?

But still, here are the words Despereaux Tilling spoke to his father. He said, "I forgive you, Pa."

And he said those words because he sensed that it was the only way to save his own heart, to stop it from breaking in two. Despereaux, reader, spoke those words to save himself.

-Katie DiCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux, 207-208.

3 comments:

Leta said...

Wow! That is PROFOUND! I'm finding out more about this lady...

Annie Chase said...

I loved that quote but i dont really have a coherent reason as to why. just a gut instinct. thanks for posting it!

Beth said...

This book is beautifully written. I really like all of the asides to the reader. I just posted another quote (above) from the coda, that fits well with some of my other posts on the importance of stories.