Saturday, April 19, 2008

Same Thing, Every Spring

Dan, go get your jacket
It's still a little cold outside
And don't play in mud, you'll track it
And I just cleaned inside
Momma don't need a coat, he yells
As he heads down to the game
Where the field is dressed seductively
In puddles of old rain
Same thing, every Spring

All kinds of life is sproutin
Flyin round, some getting scarfed
Like mommas having babies
And their heads are popping off
Well Nate taught that to Sally
Who then taught it to Nadine
Who couldn't quite get the hang
Of poppin em off real nice and clean
Same thing, every Spring

It's time to open up the shed
Wake the hibernating bears
Old grizzly and old kodiak
Are a couple of our John Deers
It's time to plant the seeds
But the garden dirt's too hard
We'll have to borrow Andy's tiller
Ours got rusted in the yard
Same thing, every Spring

Well April has it's showers
So May has buttercups
And the birds sing every morning
That the earth is warming up
So we gather all the sweaters
All the mittens and the coats
Don't open til October
On the box somebody wrote
Same thing, every Spring

No matter how we try
To live our lives beyond the same
We'll always have the dandelions
And the puddles of old rain
Well me I kind of like the thought
There's really nothing wrong
So winter won't you join with me
A few bars of this old song
Same thing every Spring

-Ticklepenny Corner

2 comments:

Beth said...

I'm astonished by Spring...The birds and the sun and the blooming trees just seem so unlikely. Just a few weeks ago it was winter (I wore a wool sweater on Easter), and now I have a sunburn...

Anonymous said...

I know, isn't it great? Spring and Fall, the two pre-seasons that introduce Summer and Winter, are always my favorite.

I just read your comment on my Tulips post, and it made me LAUGH.. I had to read the fake Dutch outloud a couple of times in order to figure it out!