Friday, October 19, 2007

Not Some Stupid Ostentatious House

...And I realized that I was bugged for a metaphorical reason.

Cause I realized that I started to get bugged when I read that little plaque all about Vanderbilt and what he did in the house. He was alone a lot. Awww...I mean, you can just imagine him coming down to breakfast...in his bathrobe, he's got his cornflakes, he's reading his paper.

Now it's one thing to be alone, but sitting at a table that'll seat 350 people, now why rub it in? We get enough of that, right, cause hearts are made that way. We have hearts that are just huge, they'll hold a tremendous amount of fullness. Which is great if there's that much fullness to find, but man, it leaves us a lot of room for empty.

And then I realized, well, relax Dave, because the reason why you're bugged is cause you're worried that your heart is a bad design. It's not. It's not some stupid ostentatious house. It's the design of your heart, come on. There's a lot of fullness to find. Maybe it's only the empty that could keep us looking long enough to find it.

The depth of your dreams
The height of your wishes
The length of your vision to see
The hope of your heart
Is much bigger than this
For it's made out of what might be

So now picture your hope,
Your heart's desire
As a castle that you must keep
In all of its splendor
It's drafty with lonely
This heart is too hard to heat

When I get lonely
Now that's only my sign
That some room is empty in me
And that room is there by design
If I feel hollow
That's just my proof there's more
I need to follow
That's what the lonely is for

-Dave Wilcox, "Metaphorical Reasons" and "That's What the Lonely is For"

2 comments:

Jessielynn said...

I also really like the next verse and bridge of that song:

Is it a curse or a blessing, this palace of promise, when the empty chill makes you weep?
With only the thin fire of romance to warm you, these halls are too tall and deep.

But you can seal up the pain
Build walls in the hallways
Close off a small room to live in
But those walls will remain
Keep you there always
And you'll never know why you've been given
Why you've been given the lonely

Beth said...

It's so lovely when you complete my quotes...eating french fries isn't the only thing we do symbiotically. :)