Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Fidelity

It was at that moment that King Pellinore reappeared. Even before he came into view they could hear him crashing in the undergrowth and calling out, “I say, I say! Come here at once! A most dreadful thing has happened!” He appeared dramatically upon the edge of the clearing, just as a disturbed branch, whose burden was too heavy, emptied a couple of hundredweight of snow upon his head. King Pellinore paid no attention. He climbed out of the snow heap as if he had not noticed it, still calling out “I say! I say!”

“What is it, Pellinore?” shouted Sir Ector.

“Oh, come quick,” cried the King and, turning round distracted, he vanished again into the forest.

“Is he all right,” inquired Sir Ector, “do you suppose?”

“Excitable character,” said Sir Grummore. “Very.”

“Better follow up and see what he’s doin’.”

The procession moved off sedately in King Pellinore’s direction, following his erratic course by the fresh tracks in the snow.

The spectacle which they came across was one for which they were not prepared. In the middle of a dead gorse bush King Pellinore was sitting, with the tears streaming down his face. In his lap there was an enormous snake’s head, which he was patting. At the other end of the snake’s head there was a long, lean, yellow body with spots on it. At the end of the body there were some lion’s legs which ended in the slots of a hart.

“There, there,” King Pellinore was saying. “I didn’t mean to leave you altogether. It was only because I wanted to sleep in a feather bed, just for a bit. I was coming back, honestly I was. Oh, please don’t die, Beast, and leave me without any fewmets.”

-T. H. White, The Sword in the Stone

No comments: